Saturday, June 28, 2008

2a Davis, California


I chose Davis, California as the place to research for this assignment. Davis is best known for its University of California Campus but it has a rich history, dating from its founding in 1868. The UC Davis campus was founded in 1908, and established as the "University farm school," a title that is still deservingly associated with the school today. Davis is well known as a strongly liberal city, and places an emphasis on environmental and social issues. One of Davis' most distinctive features is the number of bicycles on the streets; the city has worked to accommodate them and for many residents, bikes are the primary mode of transportation. Additionally, there is an unusual number of parks, and trees line the streets, keeping with the agricultural traditions of the area. The city is known for its small-town atmosphere, despite the large population.

Studying the history of Davis connects to the study of humanities, because understanding the history of a place relates to the current culture of the location. Understanding how Davis grew as an agricultural and college town helps one understand the current emphasis on environmentalism and student life that permeates much of the city's culture.

I chose Davis for this project as I will be moving there in a year for college. I wanted to learn more about the history and culture of Davis, since I'll be living there for a minimum of two years, and I don't know all that much about it. I'd like to know more about the student culture surrounding the university campus, and what student life there is like.


Sources:

http://www.city.davis.ca.us/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis%2C_California

One thing I learned from a classmate last week is that Dorothy Guaiardo is a psychology major. I can relate, because I like studying psychology and am hoping to get an associate's degree in psych before I leave the JC. I think psych relates very well to the study of the humanities because both topics help you understand more about people and their culture, by understanding their minds and the art and literature they create.

http://dollie69.blogspot.com/2008/06/week-1-project-1a-d-guajardo.html

No comments: